Economic History of Developing Regions Virtual Seminar
- To be rescheduled:
Speaker: Thanyaporn Chankrajang (Chulalongkorn University)
Organizer: Jessica Vechbanyongratana
In cooperation with Economic History of Developing Regions. If you would like to be on the email list, please email J.Fenske@warwick.ac.uk.
Upcoming workshops and conferences
- World Economic History Congress, July 2021, Paris, France.
Past workshops and conferences
- Shruti Joshi (Jawaharlal Nehru University) The Long Run Impact of Male Biased Sex Ratio on Female STEM Outcomes in India: Evidence from a Historical Demographic Shock. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, July 7, 2021
- Lisa Martin (Stellenbosch University) A “Free” Labour Force: The Labour Mobility of Emancipated Slaves of the Cape Colony. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, July 7, 2021
- Fernanda Rojas-Ampuero (University of California, Los Angeles) Sent Away: Long-Term Effects of Forced Displacements. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, July 7, 2021
- Sardar Babur Hussain (Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangaluru) Economic Development in the Princely State of Jammu & Kashmir (1846-1947). EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, July 7, 2021
- Yasin Arslantas (Anadolu University) Religious Conversion and Economic Incentives: Evidence from Ottoman Bosnia EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, June 16, 2021
- Pim de Zwart (Wageningen University) Colonial Paradox: Sugar, Property Rights and Land Inequality in Early Twentieth-Century Java. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, June 2, 2021
- Omar Cheta (Bard College) Hostages of Credit: The Imprisonment of Debtors in 19th-Century Cairo. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, May 19, 2021
- Felipe González (PUC-Chile) Make the Economy Scream: Nixon’s Cold War and Foreign Firms. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, May 5, 2021
- Pei Gao (Yale-NUS College) Communication Infrastructure and Stabilizing Food Prices: Evidence from the Telegraph Network in China. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, April 21, 2021
- Ulas Karakoc (Kadir Has University) Regional Inequality and West-East Divide in Turkey between 1914-2010: Trends and Patterns. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, April 7, 2021
- Xavier Durán (Universidad de los Andes) Why (Not To) Use The Wheel? A New Hypothesis And Evidence From The Cambao Wagon Road In The Nineteenth Century Colombian Andes. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, March 24, 2021
- Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay (Indian Statistical Institute (Delhi)) Migrants and Social Capital: Long Run Effects of the Indian Partition. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, March 10, 2021
- Erdem Kabadayi(Koç University) Building commensurable datasets to examine crop yields for the regions of Turkey, 1844-1938. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- Belinda Archibong (Barnard College) Protest Matters: The Redistributive Effects of Protests on Intergovernmental Transfers. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Wednesday, February 10, 2021
- Yu Hao(School of Economics Peking University) Commitment Failure within Bureaucracy: Why a Centralization Reform Raised Tax Revolts in late 18th century China. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Thursday, December 10, 2020.
- Prateek Raj (Indian Institute of Management Bangalore) Trade and information shocks, and market development: Evidence from early modern Europe. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Thursday, November 26, 2020.
- Patricia Funjika (University of Pretoria) Intergenerational Transmission of Education and Historic African Ethnic Stratification Systems. EHDR Virtual Seminar, Thursday, November 12, 2020.
- Leonardo Weller (Fundação Getulio Vargas, São Paulo School of Economics) Polity, Coffee, and Bananas: Democracy, Autocracy, and Sovereign Debt Default in Costa Rica and Nicaragua, 1871-1911. EHDR Virtual Seminar, October 22, 2020.
- Jessica Vechbanyongratana (Chulalongkorn University) Reform, Rails, and Rice: Thailand’s Political Railroads and Economic Development in the 20th Century. EHDR Virtual Seminar, October 7, 2020.
- Tarun Jain (Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad) Women’s Labor Force Participation and Household Technology Adoption. EHDR Virtual Seminar, September 24, 2020.
- Calumet Links (Stellenbosch University) Coerced indigenous labour and effort in pastoral agriculture: lessons learnt from the nineteenth century Cape frontier. EHDR Virtual Seminar, August 6, 2020.
- Guilherme Lambais (University of Brasilia) Slave resistance, cultural transmission, and Brazil’s long-run economic development, EHDR Virtual Seminar, July 23, 2020
- Mark Koyama (George Mason University) Fractured Land and Political Fragmentation, EHDR Virtual Seminar, July 9, 2020
- Chinmay Tumbe (IIM Ahmedabad) India & the Influenza Pandemic of 1918: Mortality Estimates and Explanations, EHDR Virtual Seminar, June 25, 2020
- Carolyn Chisadza (University of Pretoria) Racial bias in peer evaluations, EHDR Virtual Seminar, June 11, 2020.
- Luz Marina Arias (CIDE, Mexico City) The Long Run Economic Spillovers of Land Inequality, EHDR Virtual Seminar, May 28, 2020.
- Cong Liu (Jinan University) The Art of Governing: Nomads, Elites, and the Provision of Public Goods in China, 1738-1820, EHDR Virtual Seminar, May 13, 2020.
- Aaditya Dar (ISB Hyderabad) “All is Water”: Technological Complementarities and Path Dependence in Indian Agriculture, EHDR Virtual Seminar, May 1, 2020.
- Nonso Obikili (Turgot Centre) When Women March: The 1929 Aba Women’s Tax Revolt, and Gender Gaps in Political Participation in Nigeria, EHDR Virtual Seminar, April 17, 2020.
- LEAP workshop, October 2019, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- African Economic History Network meetings, October 2019, Barcelona, Spain.
- African Economic History workshop, April 2019, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- Biography of an Uncharted People workshop, October 2018, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- World Economic History Congress, July 2018, Boston, USA.
- African Economic History Network meetings, October 2017, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- 16th ERSA Workshop 22-23 January 2016, Cape Town, South Africa. Topic: What church records can tell us about economic development
- 15th ERSA Workshop May 2015, Stellenbosch, South Africa. Topic: Longitudinal Data in African Economic History
- 14th ERSA Workshop May 2015, Stellenbosch, South Africa. Topic: The Fiscal History of Africa
- 13th ERSA Workshop 21-23 January 2015, Johannesburg, South Africa. Topic: Savings, Credit and Debt in 18-20th Century Society
- 12th ERSA Workshop
20-22 November 2014, Pretoria, South Africa. Topic: Training Workshop for Graduate Students: South African Economic History
- 11th ERSA Workshop
28-30 May 2014, Cape Town, South Africa. Topic: Climate, Geography, and African Economic History
- EHSSA Colloquium
13 January 2014, Stellenbosch, South Africa. Topic: Recent Advances in the Economic and Demographic History of the Dutch Cape Colony
- 10th ERSA Workshop
4-5 December, Potchefstroom, South Africa. Topic: Migration in South African history.
- Ninth ERSA Workshop
20-22 March 2013, Cape Town. Topic: The Economics of Apartheid.
- Eighth ERSA Workshop
21 – 23 November, East London, South Africa. Topic: GIS in history. Presenter: Alexander Moradi, Sussex University
- World Economic History Congress 2012
7-13 July, Stellenbosch, South Africa. www.wehc2012.org
- Seventh ERSA Workshop
2 – 3 November, Johannesburg, South Africa. Topic: Colonial data. Presenter: Bob Allen, Oxford University
- Economics Society of Southern Africa (ESSA) conference
- Sixth ERSA/FRESH Workshop, ‘Lessons from History for Development’
Stellenbosch, November 2010
- Fifth ERSA Workshop, Business History
Johannesburg, July 2010
- EHSSA sessions at the ESSA Conference
Port Elizabeth, September 2009